The tool provides a forum for potential improvements which can be integrated to a Gender Mainstreaming action plan. JämKART is also useful for carrying out rough inventory of activities prior to in-depth gender equality analysis.
The aim is to provide an overview of the agency’s activities which are crucial to gender equality. It also attempts to see how these activities help to achieve gender equality policy objectives, and what improvements are needed.
Follow these steps,
- Examine the impact on gender equality: initially, you examine which parts of the organization directly or indirectly impact gender equality between women and men.
- Examine how the activity contributes to gender equality: secondly, you consider whether your organization can further contribute to promote gender equality. Gender equality policy objectives can be useful in this stage.
- Assess the current situation: then, you estimate the progress that Gender Mainstreaming has made so far.
- Find advantages and obstacles: in this step, you list advantages and obstacles towards a more gender equal activity.
- Assess the potential for improvement: on the basis of your list from the previous stage, you estimate the potential areas which require improvement.
- Plan improvement: lastly, you decide what measures should be taken. This includes decisions about who are responsible and when the work is to be finished.